Re: Device Drivers

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Device Drivers
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:49:34 +0100
Thomas Riemer wrote:

> 3. Wouldn't make a whole lot more sense to write a device
>    driver generator - where you feed it a configuration file - and it
>    generates the appropriate C driver code with
>    the appropriate hardware specific code in the write places...

In the Linux Lab Project something like this has been written, at least
for Linux character drivers. I have not looked at it for longer time, so
perhaps now it also supports block device drivers. The generator uses a
driver definition file to generate C-code containing a driver skeleton,
which you have to fill with the hardware-specific code. I do not have the
full URL, but you can find the tools somewhere on the web pages of the
Linux Lab Project: http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/. It supports only Linux,
but perhaps it is nonetheless worth looking at it.

Greetings,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>