Device Drivers

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Device Drivers
From: Thomas Riemer <triemer@apt4g.a3nyc.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 15:22:55 -0500 (EST)
I've started working on the sii disk driver for the 2100.

The whole industry of device drivers seem like a bizarre activity to me.
Some thought questions:
1. Why does a person have to write a different device driver for each
   Unix variant?
2. Why does a person have to reinvent the handling routines for timers,
   and interrupt handling?  (Or in my case cut and past from some other
   driver)

3. Wouldn't make a whole lot more sense to write a device
   driver generator - where you feed it a configuration file - and it
   generates the appropriate C driver code with
   the appropriate hardware specific code in the write places...
   i.e. be able to build in stats automatically instead of laboring over
   it enlessly?  I would think this would amortize efforts on device
   drivers to a one time deal?   I would think that netbsd, linux, freebsd
   and several other OS's could gain a great deal by having something
   like this....

I'm I just totally crazy in thinking this way?  Is there a forum(i.e.
mailing list) that discusses this kind of thing?

-Tom
Given enough eyeballs all bugs seem shallow.