Re: N64 Mips Linux Port

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: N64 Mips Linux Port
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:39:18 -0700
Sender: alhaz@fnet.fr
Aaron Tunnell wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but Since the N64 is based on a MIPS R4300
> Processor Would it be possible to port Linux to it? Some sort of
> Input/keybaord adaptor would be needed, as well as the specs from Nintendo.
> Maybe this is just a pipe-dream, amabe its been tried, in the works, or
> impossible, but if anyone is interested ill help start the project.

        As i understand it, the bulk of the actual design was performed by SGI.
thus leading to Nintendo's current dilemma of producing a machine for
which they are nolonger in close contact with the development team. SGI
decided they weren't interested in selling video games.

        I've heard this problem has mostly manifested itself as a lack of
needed improvments to the development system. Which, as i understand it,
is an add-in board and some software for an Indy.

 - Eric