Re: RedHat 5.2 on Cobalt Qube/RAQ

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 on Cobalt Qube/RAQ
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 21:55:11 -0700
Sender: alhaz@fnet.fr
Greg wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 02:16:42PM -0500, Greg wrote:
> >
> > > I'm attempting to work directly with Cobalt to get a long term evaluation
> > > unit for them so we can continue our work. I'm optimistic they will
> > > provide us a unit. I'd love one that we could hook up to an external RAID
> > > chassis! ;)
> >
> > It's called NFS ;-)
>
> That's what we've had to do with the Qube. Doesn't cut it though on 10
> Mbit for things like X. :)

        Well, it'd be nice if they could put a 100baseTX port on it, it
wouldn't cost that much more. But the problem here isn't technology,
it's terminology.

        Right now, the Qube and the Raq are classifying themselves as
"microservers". And their target MSRP is pretty impressive.

        But whenever you upgrade something to the point where you can start
calling it a "server" - then managment decides to double the price tag.

        If you attached a RAID array, it'd definately start being a server.

 - Eric