Re: RedHat 5.2 on Cobalt Qube/RAQ

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 on Cobalt Qube/RAQ
From: Greg <damin@cleveland.lug.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 14:16:42 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Mat Kovach wrote:

> Actually, most of the current packages went without much problem (gee, I love
> Linux).  Others were just intergrating patches with the RedHat sources.
>
> I'm sure with the remaining packages there is going to be quite a bit of
> porting required.  I seems that there is a lot of work done already on the
> kernel and modutilies (I seen an achieve fom them, can not remember where
> right now). Engineering current MIPS patches in the RedHat sources is really
> going to take some time.
>
> We do have one problem, our current machine is on loan to us and we have to
> deliver it back in working condition *smile* so we are limited on
> some of the kernel work we can do.

As Matt says, our development box is on loan to us from a third party that
will need it back in working condition. He purchased a couple and he's
allowing us to use one to extend the functionality of the box to meet some
of his extended needs.

I'm attempting to work directly with Cobalt to get a long term evaluation
unit for them so we can continue our work. I'm optimistic they will
provide us a unit. I'd love one that we could hook up to an external RAID
chassis! ;)

> If anybody as any patches to the some of the packages that have not been
> completed yet, just let me know and I'll see if we can get a RPM build.
> Hopefully I'll be able to contrib a few patches of my own.

As I've said before.. a working EGCS would help us build about 45% of
those SRPMS that failed during the first run through. I am by no means a
wonderful programmer, but I can hack patches into RPMS to make things
build and work. At this stage, I think the architecture requires this sort
of grunt work to get the remaining work done....