Re: Linux on Deskstation Tyne

To: Mark Bretland <mbretlan@erinet.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux on Deskstation Tyne
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:53:33 -0600
On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 11:57:40PM -0500, Mark Bretland wrote:

> Actually I have a Raptor Plus that has 2 of the same system boards in it as a
> Tyne.
>
> Deskstation Tyne
> (R4600, 134 MHz CPU clock, up to 2 MB L2 cache, 2 free VLB
> and 4 free ISA slots)
>
> My question is what is the current status of the Linux Mips port to this
> system?  The www page I read http://linux.cis.nctu.edu.tw/MIPS/#first is
> dated 1996!  Has anything progressed?

I stopped working on the Deskstation Tyne port in the beginning of '95 when
I noticed that my board was broken and missbehaving when executing memory
accesses in just the right order and timing.  This stupid hardware problem
did waste 3 months of my time ...  Deskstation fixed the board but I never
went back to working on this port since I got other systems in the meantime.

The board is pretty PC like with the exception of some magic in the DMA
stuff; it would be a realativly easy job to make the Tyne port work again.