Re: Cobalt Qube / Egcs?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Cobalt Qube / Egcs?
From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr@baby-dragons.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:56:16 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>, Prasad Nuli <pnuli@mediaone.net>
        Hello Ralf & All,

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> Helle night shift :-)
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:48:13PM +0000, Dominic Sweetman wrote:
>
> > > Nevada is the nickname for the Rm5230 / Rm5260 / Rm 5270 processors
> > > developed by IDT.  The Qube is based on the 5230.
> >
> > Not IDT, QED!  (Their first product under their own name, so they'd be
> > upset).  Cobalt started their development with one of our P-4032
> > boards - I don't know whether they used any of the same devices, but I
> > think Ralf got Linux going on one of our babies.
>
> Sorry, QED.  Thought the Rm7000 was the first thing QED produced on their
> own.
>
> The Qube design actually changed quite a bit in progress.  The Qube
> initially had a 21042, then 21142 chip but I think they reverted to the
        The present RAQ I have has the 21142 on it ,  Just received this
        unit as an eval unit , which we will be purchasing . ;-)

> 10mbit for the production version.  I'm not shure if it's still a chip
> of the Tulip family.  Also there was a NCR53C810 on at least preproduction
> versions.
        Damn, I wish they had kept that series of controller chips
        on-board .  The present units (afaict) do not ship with any
        scsi in the system & the RAQ's are incapable of adding
        any options into .  The Qube's only have the one pci slot
        for options .

>The chipset used is a different one from Galileo.  It's the In
> any case Linux on the P-4032 was the first step to get this thing running.

> I should mention that Cobalt did their P-4032 port independent from my
> P-4032 work.
                                ttys, JimL
|  James W. Laferriere  -  Network  Engineer  - babydr@baby-dragons.com |
|   System Techniques   -  25416  -  22nd S.  - Des-Moines, WA  98198   |
|     Give me VMS     -or-   Give me Linux   -but-   only on AXP        |