MIPS Linux kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: MIPS Linux kernel
From: Jeffery Douglas Waddell <jeff@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:27:49 -0600 (CST)
Hello,

I found your Linux/MIPS porting page and am wondering if this could
possibly work with a Tektronix XTerminal.  It appears that these beasts
are MIPS boxes.  The kernel from tektronix is

"MIPSEB COFF executable (paged) stripped - version 0.214"

Can a Linux kernel of this type be made?

I'm trying to download some of your crossdev and filesystem tools so I can
play with this as we speak, but I'm on a slow connection and I'm not sure
I can get all of it (at least not tonight).  Might be time to haul the zip
drive back to work (at least it has a fractional T1) and download it all
to zip disk and then bring it home.

Anyway, what I have is a XP114C Xterminal from Tektronix.  It has a very
nice PROM that allows you to boot from NFS (over ethernet), tftp, or ROM.
It is not equipped with the ROM.  Here are some of the specs I get from
looking at the machine.

Chips inside:

-------------
Tektronix
160-9461-00
9429KVA62

-------------
LSI
LR33020MC-33
GRAPHX PROC

WK70762P
NNG 9425 *
5A13FNWJFAAPQ
HONG KONG

------------ * above is triangle graphic
TI Video

TLC34075
-85AFN

3188405 94238N

-----------  Obviously a Texas Instruments chip (has the logo)

S9430AB C4
PATENTED
(c)(m) 1993
DP83934BVUL

        TM
SONIC-T

--------------No clue on this one.

All those are approximately the same size (square and about the size of a
intel 386 chip) and wired directly to the board.

The board is Copyrighted 1993 by Tektronix

I don't see anything I recognize as a clock chip, but there is a FLASH
chip (I assume this is the NVRAM), and a PHOENIXBIOS chip (it's says

AKB
(c)PHOENIX 1985-1993
K065542

and there are 8 NEC (424400-70, is this a 70 ns 512K memory chip perhaps)
that look like memory chips.

There are two internal expansion slots, both appear to be 72 pin memory
expansion.  One has RAM next to it, and the other has FLASH next to it.

External Connectors

        Ethernet
                AUI
                THINNET (10Base2)
                10BaseT
        Serial
                Port 0
                Port 1

        PS/2
                Mouse
                Keyboard

When it boots you get a nice Tektronix log and a bunch of info about the
machine which includes that it has 4096 bytes of RAM (from info I seen
elsewhere it can be upgraded to 20M so I assume that you just drop a 16M
72 Module in the internal RAM slot.  It then attempts to boot over NFS
(because it was apparently set to this previously).  If you wait until it
fails, or hit a key it will give you a prompt.  Help gives you information
about all the boot prom commands.  I set it up to boot of of THINNET via
NFS and it failed because it could find os.350.  So I went and searched
the net, I found os.350 on tektronix site, so I downloaded it.  And the
machine will now boot load the os.350 kernel from my linux box (ix86) and
then it fails to load Xge8.350.  I was wanting to run Linux instead of
Tektronix's stuff anyway, so I did `file os.350` and determined the output
you see above and so here I am.

I've already tried the dec.vmlinuz base binary but the terminal says it's
a bad magic number, so I assume that that binary was little endian and I
need big endian.

Anyway, let me know if any of what I have said is useful, and if your
porting efforts can help me.

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jwaddell@ix.netcom.com