Re: MIPS R3230?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS R3230?
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:56:56 -0700
Sender: alhaz@fnet.fr
Warner Losh wrote:

> :       However, I hardly think MIPS or CDC would complain if the source was
> : ogled a bit in the process of writing Linux drivers.
>
> True.  Also, the hardware for it is bog standard hardware: LANCE
> ethernet, NCR 53C96, PC Keyboard controller (with different
> non-keyboard goo than the PC has), an ISA bus (one slot, and lots of
> restritions), and a few other chips that looked familiar.  Even if I
> didn't have source to all the drivers, the hardware reference manual
> is very complete in its description of non-off the shelf hardware.

        The 3240 is very similar. The only difference I can think of is the
presence of 4 ISA slots. I was told by a MIPS engineer that those slots
were designed specificly with Digiboard serial port boards in mind. In
case you wanted to use the thing as a terminal server. So, yes, they
would be considerably limited.

        I haven't turned on either of them in about 2 years. the 3240 is
serving as a glorified bookend. It weighs so much I'm using it to
sandwitch a full tower case that lacks feet up against a cabinet. Rather
unfortunate since I have a whopping 40 megs of ram installed in it. Two
16-meg boards and one 8-meg. Naturally, the battery in the RTC has died
long ago as well. I hear I can order a new one from Mouser for about
$20, but, bookends don't need to know what time it is.

        But I keep the 3240 around for sentimental reasons. I had a "borrowed"
account on it many years ago. Was my first shell account. The university
that owned it surplused it, and for $100 i figured it was worth
completing the circle.

 - Eric