Re: MIPS R3230?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS R3230?
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:43:49 -0700
In message <36350CDA.2546DFBD@xmission.com> Eric Jorgensen writes:
:       Tho the source is all there, there's some question as to how much it
: could be used. While MIPS nolonger maintains RISCos, Controll Data Corp.
: still maintains their own OEM version of it, which they refer to as
: "EP/IX". Controll Data sold several Mips systems relabled as their own
: and still has a lot of customers using RC3240's and similar boxes.

I was told that MIPS formally donated the MIPS CO hardware driver
sources to BSD for inclusion in their releases.  However, the
drivers/port never made it into the tree for reasons I've never been
able to figure out.  According to my sources inside mips, they should
have been.

:       However, I hardly think MIPS or CDC would complain if the source was
: ogled a bit in the process of writing Linux drivers.

True.  Also, the hardware for it is bog standard hardware: LANCE
ethernet, NCR 53C96, PC Keyboard controller (with different
non-keyboard goo than the PC has), an ISA bus (one slot, and lots of
restritions), and a few other chips that looked familiar.  Even if I
didn't have source to all the drivers, the hardware reference manual
is very complete in its description of non-off the shelf hardware.

Warner