Re: Console problems?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Console problems?
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:59:48 +0200 (MET DST)
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Matt Foster wrote:

> Thanks to Richard for all your help so far....
>
> The thing is now booting , (with initrd) well almost.
> The last couple of messages are :
>

> VFS : Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> Freeing unused kernel memory : 40k freed
> Stan

Congratulations! Right now only the 5000/1xx runs single user.

> And then it hangs.  I guess this is the standalone shell kicking in?
> I'm running with a vt100 on the end of the serial port of the DS5000/25.
> Could this be the problem (expecting the graphics console?)
> console is set to 1 and osconsole to 3, although it doesn't seem to matter
> much what I set osconsole to.

The osconsole enviroment variable is set by the system, the console
enviroment variable determines what is used as a console, generally:
s for a connected terminal, * let the system determine; if a keyboard
is connected then it will be used together with the framebuffer in the
lowest numbered TURBOchannel slot, with no keyboard connected the serial
port is used.

All these goodies and more are explained in the maintenance manual
available at decstation.unix-ag.org, thanks to Michael.

> Any ideas?

Improve the serial driver or write a framebuffer + keyboard + mouse
driver. Welcome to the club.

Regards,
Richard