Re: Turbo Channel

To: Jay.Estabrook@digital.com
Subject: Re: Turbo Channel
From: Matt Foster <matt@molnir.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:10:30 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr

> > I've just inherited an Alpha 3000 (300LX I think).  125 MHz Alpha,
> > and Turbo channel.  Last I read 3000 are not much use for Linux,
> > is this still the case?  Would the work being done on the Decstation
> > port help with the TC drivers?
>
> Yes, your best alternate at the moment is one of the *BSDs.
>
> And yes, work being done on the Decstation port *will* help the case for
> TC support under LINUX, but the drivers and TC code will still have to be
> made 64-bit clean for Alpha.
>
> Sounds to me like a good volunteer opportunity... :-)
>
> --Jay++

Hi,

I have the 300LX loaded with NetBSD at the moment, but it has a spare
hard disk for TC driver testing.  My device driver coding could be
said to be rusty in a generous mood and non existant in a cynical one.
However, I'm willing to help and a UN*X admin/developer by profession.

I have access now to a DS5000/25 (personnel) DS5000/240 and quite
possibly a something else fairly soon for the MIPS port testing.  As
for getting the TC drivers to work on Alpha as well as MIPS, who
should I talk to?

I'll have most of the kit home by the end of next week, so should
be able to start making more useful contributions to the port (been
a little tied up getting married the past month or so...)

Cheers,

Matt