Subject: MIPS/Linux
From: "Robert J. Slover" <robert.slover@Rose-Hulman.Edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:36:39 +0000

I just today acquired for my collection a MIPS workstation,
a MIPS branded MIPS/RS2030 (Model M/12) machine.
I has an R2000 processor, appears to have Adaptec 6250
onboard SCSI and a Western Digital floppy interface.  The
machine had the hard disk stripped from it years ago and
there is therefore no OS.  It never had the floppy drive.  I
have a mouse, but have no keyboard for it (though it has
a suspiciously-close to PC connector and Award keyboard

My question is, is there as yet any effort to port to this
specific machine?  If not, is there a reasonable starting
point somewhere for me to attempt to boot an existing
kernel on the thing, and see where it breaks?  I've not
done much kernel hacking (fixed a SCSI driver and an
ethernet driver...simple fixes to get an existing driver to
detect slightly strange hardware that was otherwise
totally supported by the driver).  I'm willing to help where
I can, time permitting.

Any clues would be most welcome.

Robert J. Slover
Administrative Systems Manager