Re: Porting Linux to my 79S361 MIPS board

Subject: Re: Porting Linux to my 79S361 MIPS board
From: Warner Losh <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 12:18:57 -0600
In message <> Bert Morrien writes:
: I've a 79S361 Evaluation board from IDT, based upon the
: IDT RC36100 RISController.

These are fun boards.  I have one myself, but haven't looked at
putting Linux on this board.  The R4xxx version of this board is too
flakey to really do serious work with.  Hmmm, actually I think that I
have the older board because there is no FLASH on mine.

: 1. Is Linux suitable for embedded (unatended) applications, especially
:    where communication protocol stacks are needed?

: 2. Could Linux run on a system with capabilities such as the mentioned
:    79S361 Evaluation board, without disk storage but with sufficient
:    RAM and Flash memory?

Yes, care must be taken to not wear out the Flash, however.

: 3. Can I contribute in some way by porting Linux to my 79S361 board?

: 4. What would be a good starting point for such a port?
:    Maybe an existing MIPS R4x00 port?

The existing Linux/MIPS CVS tree has support for most R3xxx CPUs.