Re: Tags are dead alias Milo is dead part II

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Tags are dead alias Milo is dead part II
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 19:22:17 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 07-Oct-98 Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

>> [...] We would then have
>> to use PROM callback functions from within the kernel with the disadvantage
>> that we have to keep the memory range 0x80000000 - 0x8002ffff reserved for
>> the
>> PROM, thus wasting 192KB memory :-(.
>
> we can reclaim the PROM memory, when we are done with PROM calls. This can
> be done the same way as we get memory back for __initfuncs().

Fine. In that case I don't have a problem with this.

> Ralf had also
> the idea to save the content of the PROM memory and bring it back, when there
> is a need to do PROM calls, which probably happens only for config stuff.
> But we haven't found a really good solution to do this.

The PROM calls are indeed only needed for config stuff. Well, except the PROM
console, which is a temporary solution anyway.

> Out of curiousity, how do you boot a kernel on a Decstation ? Have you ported
> Milo to it ?

Not yet and never will. But we will need a bootloader for the DECstations
because
the DECstation PROM doesn't know anything about filesystems.

Actually we boot the kernel as single file, i.e. merged with the startup stuff
and
the ramdisk image, via TFTP.

---
Regards,