Re: Unsuccesful trying to run Linux on RM200

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Unsuccesful trying to run Linux on RM200
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:19:05 +0200
On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 01:19:50AM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 12:09:58AM +0200, Michael Engel wrote:
> > Yep. One could also try to build a kernel for the big-endian SINIX firmware
> > on the RM200, perhaps the SINIX firmware has less bugs ...

Not bugs but _very_ unfunny features ...

> I wouldn't bet, but feel free to do it:-) Is the SINIX firmware also
> ARC or a different beast ?

Both little endian and big endian mode of the RM use the ARC firmware.
In little endian mode the ARC firmware behaves like a Magnum etc., that
is it tries to read it's OS from a FAT partition.  In big endian mode
the machine behaves like a true MIPS machine, that is they seem to be
using the ``MIPS disk volume header'' just like IRIX.  Oh, surprise -
we support the dvh.