Re: Tags are dead alias Milo is dead part II

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Tags are dead alias Milo is dead part II
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:44:50 +0200
On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 08:20:22PM +0200, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
> Well, that'd certainly be possible for the DECstations too. We would then have
> to use PROM callback functions from within the kernel with the disadvantage
> that we have to keep the memory range 0x80000000 - 0x8002ffff reserved for the
> PROM, thus wasting 192KB memory :-(.

we can reclaim the PROM memory, when we are done with PROM calls. This can
be done the same way as we get memory back for __initfuncs(). Ralf had also
the idea to save the content of the PROM memory and bring it back, when there
is a need to do PROM calls, which probably happens only for config stuff.
But we haven't found a really good solution to do this.

> actually done via tags, in fact, I have added some tags to the DECstation
> source tree. But when common opinion is not to use tags, well, then let it be
> so.

Just read DaveM comments in arch/mips/sgi/prom/tags.c.

Out of curiousity, how do you boot a kernel on a Decstation ? Have you ported
Milo to it ?

> > Another old code, which might be obsolete now is the wired entry stuff
> > in arch/mips/kernel/head.S. It's already disabled for R4k CPUs and
> > I would prefer to remove that stuff also for the other CPUs. If you
> > need wired entries, I would propose using the add_wired_entry()
> > function as I already do it for the JAZZ hardware (arch/mips/jazz/setup.c).
>
> No problem for the DECstations.

great.

> P.S.: when you are already messing around with head.S, could you please apply
> the following little patch?

If Ralf doesn't see a problem, I'll apply it.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)