Re: DECstation-Linux is dead, long live Linux-R3000!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation-Linux is dead, long live Linux-R3000!
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:45:50 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Harald and all other DEC fans,

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

[...]

> o With the above changes my DS5000/133 goes single user! (Unfortunately my
> DS5000/240 does not, the serial device driver still needs some polishing :-().
> Feedbacks from other machines are welcome.

Guess which machines. :-) It seems that the DS5k/133 here has some
serial hardware trouble. :-( It has shown sash, but not the kernel
booting. Setting the console enviroment variable to s doesn't move the
prom-console to the terminal. To get the console back I had to exercise
the trick with the nvr jumper. Booting with prom-console support build
in the kernel-messages show up but it goes slower then an old XT.

On the other hand the MAXine behaves more decent till it says "Freeing
unused kernel memory" at the prom-console at usual speed with support
for it compiled in and on the serial console. It shows all the kernel
goodies at the serial console real fast. It does it without specifying
console=ttyS0, specifying it goes allright too, specifying an other tty,
it shows till "Launching Kernel ..."

BTW, does somebody out there knows the right settings to make minicom
behave like a terminal, I haven't succeeded yet, clearing out all init
strings and setting the right communication parameters of course (9600,
8n1) it says online, but no contact with the DEC.

Regards,

Richard

P.S. I'm of for a week DECstation less, ttyl.