Re: Unsuccesful trying to run Linux on RM200

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Unsuccesful trying to run Linux on RM200
From: Michael Engel <engel@math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 21:34:24 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

>  We have RM200 box with broken SINIX in it.

Just out of interest - is this a RM200 with ISA slots or the newer
RM200C PCI-based machine ?

> We would like to try Linux. We tryed to load MILO
> through prom monitor but it don't recognize
> FAT (it's sinix firmware, we don't have sinix_to_nt)

That's (one of) the problem(s). The Sinix firmware runs in big endian mode
whereas ARC runs in little endian mode. I'm not sure where to find
SINIX_TO_NT, perhaps we could convince Siemens to release the firmware
update images now that the RM200 seems to be discontinued.

Btw., IIRC there may still be problems with Ralf's RM200 code - he'll surely
comment on this.

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de)