Re: Wheee - Magnum 4000PC-50 almost on-line, I think. the hardware atlea

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Wheee - Magnum 4000PC-50 almost on-line, I think. the hardware atleast . .
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 00:10:53 +0200
On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 09:59:31PM -0600, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>       I was hoping that I could run this beast with a serial console, since
> I'd like to eventually use it as a dedicated MP3 player. Or atleast
> that's more or less what I'm figuring.

some days ago I tried to boot my Olivetti M700 (Magnum clone) headless.
And it worked after I've figured out, that the console used COM2 and
not COM1 as serial console. You need also to install the configuration
jumper (JP2 on my board) to get a chance to change ConsoleIn/ConsoleOut
in the enviroment.

That was the good news, now the bad one: While I have a working serial
console with the Linux kernel, the mips boot loader (milo) isn't happy
about the missing graphic card. My big plan is to avoid milo at all and
boot the kernel straight from the console prom. But that's more a long
term solution. I'll have a look at milo over the weekend, and hope
to get fix for this problem.

> rich. Does anybody know if I could get away with a small scsi drive as
> the root partition and an IDE drive on an isa controller as the /usr
> partition? If I do end up using this machine as an MP3 stereo component,

I haven't tried it, but as a ISA controller does only PIO, it shouldn't be
a big problem. Ralf had some IDE stuff working on Linux/MIPS (probably on
his RM200, but I'm not sure).

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)