Re: CE revisited

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: CE revisited
From: James Douma <jdouma@ivs.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 07:55:02 +0000
Sender: jdouma@blackberry.ivs.com
Warner Losh wrote:

> Do you have a pointer for that qualcomm thing?
>
> Warner

The pdQ can be seen at http://www.qualcomm.com/pdQ.  This is, of course,
a very different product from a devlopment standpoint since its
basically a PalmPilot (based on the Motorola dragonball processor (CPU32
- more or less a 68020 core).  It is probably not a good topic for the
MIPS mailing list.

OTOH - this product has a fair shot at taking the world by storm by
integrating the most popular handheld computer with the fastest growing
cellular/PCS base in the United States.  Getting Linux onto it would
have some very exciting possibilities.

Question:

Is it really that easy to move Linux from one MIPS platform (like the
3900) to another (like the 4111)?  I found that I quickly got in over my
head while moving kernel code from a MIPS II part to a MIPS III part -
mainly because of the subtlety of good cache management and proper use
of the memory manager.

James
--
James Douma - Manager, Advanced Technology Programs
Interactive Voice Systems          ph: 626.256.3123