Re: DECstation-linux-2.1.116

To: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation-linux-2.1.116
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 21:22:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Harald,

> On 17-Sep-98 Richard van den Berg wrote:
> > MAXine:
> > Boots usual, shows that it has tty00 and tty01 and the last line is:
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> > In other words it doesn't show the kernel freeing unused memory.
>
> That's strange, what configuration did you use? Especially the character
> devices. The same kernel image as your kmin?

#
# DECstation Character devices
#
# CONFIG_VT is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_DZ is not set
CONFIG_ZS=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS is not set
# CONFIG_KEYBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_RTC is not set

Same kernel on both the kmin and the MAXine.
I narrowed it down that sys_setup() in fs/filesystems.c gets called
twice on the kmin and only once on the MAXine and there I bumped my head,
how is sys_setup() called? Same thing as with dec_entry().

FYI, enabling CONFIG_VT makes CONFIG_PROM_CONSOLE conflict with the
Sparc one. I'm in favour using a frambuffer console and compiling the
core frambuffer code in the kernel I discovered this.

> > DS5k/133:
> > Has 4 tty's and shows that the kernel frees unused memory. Hitting a
> > key at the terminal shows a exclamation mark on the promconsole (19"
> > full with exclamation marks..).
>
> I hacked the int_handler to print an exclamation mark when a spurious
> interrupt
> is detected B-).

(-:

Regards,