Re: MIPS HOWTO / FAQ

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS HOWTO / FAQ
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:49:39 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since nobody else does (hint, hint ...) I started to rework the MIPS FAQ.
> Attached the first very incomplete version.  As of this version the
> FAQ is now written using the Linux SGML tools.  I append a text version
> generated with sgml2txt.  Comments, additional text etc. apreciated.
> I'm especially thinking of the DECstation people but not only.

As I'm pretty DECstation only minded I make a start with that section
and post it in this group. Think we all prefer hacking. :-) Small
remark: I assume that you're meaning Megabytes instead of millibytes
in section «6.1.  Diskspace requirements»? How about the location
of the kernelsource, for DECstations at least I'm using the source
from http://decstation.unix-ag.org/, how is that related to other
architectures? I guess locations is something that has to be worked out.

> Special feature: the topic ``How to brew a cross compiler'' now has it's
> own uptodate and about 5 printed pages long section describing how to
> roll a crosscompiler based on the newest stuff.  The topic has actually
> also been interesting for other people as many postings in the past
> have shown.  Maybe the crosscompiler part is actually worth it's own,
> separate HOWTO document?

A MIPS-hardware-howto and a MIPS-software-howto? Why not.
Thanks for this HOWTO!

Regards,

Richard