Subject: Re: MIPS HOWTO / FAQ
From: Richard van den Berg <>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:49:39 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 wrote:

> Hi,
> since nobody else does (hint, hint ...) I started to rework the MIPS FAQ.
> Attached the first very incomplete version.  As of this version the
> FAQ is now written using the Linux SGML tools.  I append a text version
> generated with sgml2txt.  Comments, additional text etc. apreciated.
> I'm especially thinking of the DECstation people but not only.

As I'm pretty DECstation only minded I make a start with that section
and post it in this group. Think we all prefer hacking. :-) Small
remark: I assume that you're meaning Megabytes instead of millibytes
in section «6.1.  Diskspace requirements»? How about the location
of the kernelsource, for DECstations at least I'm using the source
from, how is that related to other
architectures? I guess locations is something that has to be worked out.

> Special feature: the topic ``How to brew a cross compiler'' now has it's
> own uptodate and about 5 printed pages long section describing how to
> roll a crosscompiler based on the newest stuff.  The topic has actually
> also been interesting for other people as many postings in the past
> have shown.  Maybe the crosscompiler part is actually worth it's own,
> separate HOWTO document?

A MIPS-hardware-howto and a MIPS-software-howto? Why not.
Thanks for this HOWTO!