RE: /dev/console

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: /dev/console
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:47:21 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello fellow developers,

This is the linker complain with PROM console configured:

drivers/tc/tc.a(decserial.o): In function `rs_init':
decserial.c(.text.init+0x56c): multiple definition of `rs_init'
arch/mips/dec/dec.o(.text.init+0xeb4):time.c: first defined here

Which was solved with commenting out rs_init() in promcon.c.

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

[snipped some]

> The hello world program is also causing other problems. I have uploaded a
> new ramdisk image containing a statically linked stand alone shell as /bin/sh.
> It can be downloaded via http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-koerfgha/ramdisk.img.

Work for wget.

> This shell does not only use stdin/stdout for it's output, but cures the
> strange locked buffers problem as well.

Is it possible that this cause to show up at the first boot "He" and
with the second boot "Hel" on the terminal? BTW, can a 5k/133 only be
reset by switching the power off and on? The momentary switch at the
back soesn't seem to do much.... and the Ctrl-Alt Function-Backspace
trick like on MAXine doesn't work too.

> Unfortunately I am still fighting with the Z8530 so I cannot tell if the shell
> really works, at least it prints a message and seems to wait for input.

With that in mind I tried to compile the PROM console support, solving
the linking unwillingnes didn't give any output like I expected it looking
at the code. At the moment I'm stuck with the fact that I can't discover
from where dec_entry() in arch/mips/dec/boot/decstation.c gets called to
find out the kernel's boot sequence in order to do a proper console setup.

Regards,

Richard