RE: /dev/console

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: /dev/console
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 13:42:28 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi all,

On 13-Sep-98 Thomas Riemer wrote:
> So've gotten the dz code to tell me that it thinks that it has opened
> the /dev/console device.
>
> In fact at this point, it goes all the way to trying to execute init -
> what do I have to do to get the kernel to execute the "hello" world
> program?  What's the patch that I need to give it - or what do command
> line do I have to give the kernel?

Excuse me, but playing around with three or four different source trees
simultaneously I somewhat lost track of what I have published so far. :-)

IIRC you don't need any patches or command line options if you are using the
latest snapshot from September 5th. The "hello world" program is /bin/sh on the
ramdisk image and will be executed automagically.

A simple test to check wether it is really executed is an additional printk in
sys_open(...) in fs/open.c.

Obviously you need working serial interrupts to see the hello message itself.

---
Regards,
Harald