Re: SII

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SII
From: Michael Engel <engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 10:12:09 +0200 (MET DST)
> Anyone have any recommendations on the SII device driver?

IIRC, the SII is a rather primitive chip, so it probably won't make much
sense to start with a driver for a highly complicated SCSI controller.

> What's a good template to start with?

I think the 5380 driver would make a good template. I hacked around with
the 5380 on my Mac Plus many years ago and remember it was rather an
enhanced parallel port ;-) - i.e. you have to implement most of the
SCSI protocol in the driver as the chip doesn't handle it for you. The
more recent SCSI controller IC's (e.g. the 53C810) have their own
microcontroller to control the SCSI sequencing etc.

regards,
        Michael