Re: Generic DECstation kernel? (was: patch-linux-2.1.100_pl5)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Generic DECstation kernel? (was: patch-linux-2.1.100_pl5)
From: Michael Engel <engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 10:08:27 +0200 (MET DST)
> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
>
> > We now have serial consoles running on DZ based as well as Z8530 based
> > DECstations and I'd like to kick out the PROM console for various reasons.
>
> I think its probably valuable to hold on the PROM console routines

I agree. It should at least help getting the people with so far unsupported
machines started. It's less frustrating if you at least see something on
the screen when you start hacking ;-).

> In terms of this "undefined" behavior - Really we should have some
> that has the logic something like:
>
> 1. Does my machine have TC interface and the option --->
>      ok, then use the TC driver - bind serial_console_init.

Hmmm, we can easily determine if the machine has a TC option - AFAIK the only
machines without TC support were the 2100/3100 and that weird Q-Bus based
DECstation (5100 ?).

But what about the people who are using a graphics console/keyboard ? They
probably prefer to use prom console instead of attaching a terminal, so
we could already determine which console to use based on the (os)console
environment variable ... (And it's finally time for me to merge my
DS2100/3100 graphics console code and bring it up to date with the vfb code !)

> 2. Does my machine have DZ interface && and the option --->
>      ok, then use the DZ driver - bind serial_console_init.
> Otherwise
>
> 3. use the promcon stuff.

regards,
        Michael