RE: io.h

Subject: RE: io.h
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:57:10 +0200 (MEST)
Hi Thomas,

On 01-Sep-98 Thomas Riemer wrote:
> I've run across a reference to outw and inw  - that
> has a comment indicating it was supposed to replace
> outw and inw....
> I'm guessing it was written prior to work done on asm-mips/io.h.
> Can anyone tell me the state of outw and inw in asm-mips/io.h
> and perhaps the history of when it was worked on?

AFAIK the macros in asm-mips/io.h are only needed for MIPS machines with an ISA
bus. They are intended to help using device drivers intentionally written for
Intel based boxes.

As far as I can tell from my private communication with him, Olivier used
drivers/char/serial.c as a template and the inw outw instructions may be simple

The serial device driver for the DC7085 is supposed to work only on MIPS based
non-ISA machines (unless the Linux/VAX port comes to new life), so it would be
cleaner to kick them out and work with pointers.

BTW does anybody know if the VAX processors have memory mapped I/O too?

Happy hacking.