RE: [English] I have an old DECstation 5000 and want to run Linux/MIPS

To: "'Mitchell Blank Jr'" <mitch@execpc.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: RE: [English] I have an old DECstation 5000 and want to run Linux/MIPS ...
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <bjs@crc.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 05:13:28 -0400
Cc: <bjs@crc.com>
All --

Sorry, I have a 5000/240.  I have heard that NetBSD/OpenBSD is a better
solution since Linux/MIPS really only boots on those systems (and does
little else).

So, which is better NetBSD or OpenBSD?  Also, what is the history with all
the different BSD OSes (NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, 386BSD, etc...)?  I am
assuming they are all based on the BSDLite 4.4 code, but how are they
different from each other?

Also, how do I find out which video controller I have and if it is
compatible with X?  If I cannot use this thing for X, I probably have little
use for it.

Any other comments on how I can load the OS exactly (it only has a DLT
drive)?  I have Ultrix currently running on the system and I believe I can
kill a partition I am no longer using (freeing up a couple hundred MB).

Any other comments?

Thanx in advance (for putting up with a newbie) ...

-- Bryan J. Smith
   Software Engineer
   Coleman Aerospace

P.S.  I called DEC to see if the 60MHz R4400 upgrade was still available for
the 240 (which makes it into a 260), and they referred me to a whole slew of
3rd party vendors who carry discontinued products.  No one had the upgrade.
Oh well, a 40MHz R3400 is still not bad.