RE: Irqs

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: Irqs
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 21:52:10 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Fellow DECstation hackers,

On 30-Aug-98 Thomas Riemer wrote:
> I noticed the line
>
> dev->irq = 5
>
> in declance.c....
>
> How does the linux stuff prevent clashes on interrupt numbers?  Is
> there a list somewhere that is used to prevent interrupt clashes?

Yes, indeed, there is. When it comes to interrupts, the situation becomes
uhmmm... interesting ;-). The DECstation engineers, in their infinite wisdom,
decided that the interrupts on the different DS models have to be completely
different.

I have been trying to hide those differences in the interrupt handler itself
(you may want to have look at int-handler.S and setup.c in arch/mips/dec and
ioasic.h in include/asm-mips/dec).

To make things easier to read (and to write code, of course) I have written
include/asm-mips/dec/interrupts.h. The code in declance.c should be:

[...]

#include <asm/dec/interrupts.h>

[...]

        dev->irq = ETHER;

This works only for onboard devices. PMAD-AA option modules need
different treatment, but that would make declance.c unneccesary complicated
right now. I suggest we concentrate on bringing device drivers to work, and see
 later if it makes sense to merge them.

---
Regards,
Harald