Re: [English] I have an old DECstation 5000 and want to run Linux/MIPS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: [English] I have an old DECstation 5000 and want to run Linux/MIPS ...
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:15:49 -0500
Cc: bjs@crc.com
Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> [English]  I have an old DECstation 5000 and want to run Linux/MIPS ...

First, which 5000?  There's many many models of 5000, all the way from the
lowly Personal Decstation 5000/20 all the way to the mighty 5000/260.

As the other poster pointed out, the *BSDs are quite a bit farther along
in their DECstation support.  You can use either NetBSD (see
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/) or OpenBSD (see
http://www.openbsd.org/pmax.html).  I've run OpenBSD on my PD5000/25 and
my 5000/125 with good results.  The only snag I've run accross is that some
of the more esoteric color framebuffer cards aren't supported.

Personally, I'll be happer with Linux on my boxen, but for the time being
I'd suggest grabbing a BSD.

-Mitch