Re: DECStation memory

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation memory
From: Adam Fritzler <afritz@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:01:36 -0700 (MST)
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:

> Well there's the /m10, /m20, /m30, /m38, /m40, /m76 (this list from
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/models.html)  I'm not sure if they used
> different memory or not - I'm not VAX expert.
>
> To make it even more complicated, there's also the MicroVAX 3100, of
> which there are 13 sub-models.  DEC really liked the ring of the number
> "3100" I guess.

Althogh this has nothing to do with MIPS....there was a /m96 as well.

MicroVAX = (VAXstation - color graphics)

Or sometimes the uVAX has no frame buffer at all, but requiures serial
console.  For every uVAX model, there's usually an equivlent VS model,
often suffixed by the frame buffer model name (GPX, SPX, etc)

The only VAX that I could possibly think of that MIGHT use SIMMs are the
VS4000's.  They were quite modern and were released parallel to the
DECstations (FWIR).  Everything before that probably uses "memory cards"
(the ISA-looking ones; stackable to two layers, connections on top).

af

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982