Re: DECStation memory

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation memory
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:14:04 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:

> Tim Parker wrote:
> > Just a (hopefully) quick question. Are the memory modules from the
> > VAXStation series (think it was a 3100) compatible with the DECStation
> > 5K/200s ?
>
> A "Vaxstation 3100" is not a specific model but a whole product line.

So my machine labeled "VAXstation 3100" (owner thought it was a DECstation
:-( ) could look and thus be completly different than an other VS? (just
out of curiousity)

> > These are 80-pin 16MB SIMM modules I believe, can't say more
>
> It may work.  The 80-pin SIMMs I'm familiar with are the ones that the
> PMAX/3MIN/MAXINE machines used (like the DS3100, PD5000/25, DS5000/125,...)
> They are available in 2M (common) and 8M (rare) models.  They're always
> installed in pairs.  These might also be used in some VS3100s.... I don't
> know for sure but it really wouldn't surprise me.

What I know is that the 4 Mb extension board of the VS is a bit bigger
then a small isa extension card (i.e. old nc e.g. WD80x3), quite a
different size then the 2 Mb modules of a Personal DECstation 5000/25.

Regards,

Richard