Re: DECStation memory

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation memory
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:38:36 -0500
Tim Parker wrote:
> Just a (hopefully) quick question. Are the memory modules from the
> VAXStation series (think it was a 3100) compatible with the DECStation
> 5K/200s ?

A "Vaxstation 3100" is not a specific model but a whole product line.

> These are 80-pin 16MB SIMM modules I believe, can't say more

It may work.  The 80-pin SIMMs I'm familiar with are the ones that the
PMAX/3MIN/MAXINE machines used (like the DS3100, PD5000/25, DS5000/125,...)
They are available in 2M (common) and 8M (rare) models.  They're always
installed in pairs.  These might also be used in some VS3100s.... I don't
know for sure but it really wouldn't surprise me.

3MAX machines (DS5000/200) were completely differrent IIRC... I'm going
from vague memories here so watch out.  I think their SIMMs were a different
form factor.  They weren't inserted in pairs.  Modules are 8M (common) or
32M (rare).  (actually I've never seen a 32M but Kingston claims that they
have them)  Again, I'm not aware of any VAXen that used this part but
it's possible.

> quite matches. The pin layout, data path/bit counts seem to be OK but
> thats not exactly saying that much. Any ideas / comments ?

Well, I personally would try it out.  Of course, you might cook your
hardware so it's an at-your-own-risk sort of thing.

-Mitch