Re: DECStation memory

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECStation memory
From: Adam Fritzler <afritz@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:58:22 -0700 (MST)
I've never seen a VS3100 newer than a m38 (which all use custom memory
cards).  But, AFAIK, the DS5k SIMMs were very specific to the DECstation
series.  Judging by the model numbers, I'd say they were not compatible.
But, I'm not an expert at this...  I think the proper numbers are MS01-AA
or something around there.

af

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Tim Parker wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Just a (hopefully) quick question. Are the memory modules from the
> VAXStation series (think it was a 3100) compatible with the DECStation
> 5K/200s ? These are 80-pin 16MB SIMM modules I believe, can't say more
> at the moment as there aren't here. Looking at some of the archives it
> seems there were two 'kit' memory setups (2 piece or 4 piece which I
> was presuming was to do with the interleaving ??) and one module
> (MS44-AA) setup for the VAXStation model 76 (4MB) but nothing that
> quite matches. The pin layout, data path/bit counts seem to be OK but
> thats not exactly saying that much. Any ideas / comments ?
>

> TIA Tim
> --
> Tim Parker,                           Leading Software Engineer
> Redac Systems Ltd.,                   Tel   : +44 (1454) 207800
> Zuken-Redac R&D Centre,                       Fax   : +44 (1454) 207803
> 1500 Aztec West, Almondsbury,         Email : timp@redac.co.uk
> Bristol, England, BS32 4RF.           Web   : http://www.redac.co.uk
> "Any opinions are mine, and mine alone. They do not reflect
>  reality let alone this company"
>
> "In a word -- im-possible!"
> "That's two words," said Dibbler.
>         -- (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)

Adam Fritzler                           |
  afritz@delphid.ml.org                 | Animals who are not penguins can
    afritz@iname.com                    |    can only wish they were.
      http://delphid.ml.org/~afritz/    |        -- Chicago Reader
        http://www.pst.com/             |               15 Oct 1982