RE: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 18:26:16 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi,

On 17-Aug-98 Gleb O. Rajko wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
>

>> We have the first user process running too :-). Just beeing curious, have
>> you
>> used code from DECstation-Linux or have you hacked the R3000 support
>> independantly?
>
> I guessed you have it as init, so fork/exec stuff isn't tested yet. Am I
> right ?

I wish it were so. Actually it's a little test program which writes "Hello
World" to /dev/ttyS0. I am working on a serial device driver at the moment.

> We had a lot of problem with fork/exec and signal delivering and
> half of time/efforts we spent during entire port was to fix that stuff.
>
> Independently. Unfortunately, Linux/MIPS FAQ doesn't have any links to
> DECstation site. That's why, I had to pick up 2.1.100 from SGI tree
> instead of 2.1.99. I am going to replace some our assembler routines by
> yours because ours are worse. (We haven't experiences with MIPS
> assmebler before.)
>
> Gleb.

Well, that's not bad. We just have to pick the better solution when merging
our ports :-). Would you mind to send me your patches?

Happy hacking.
---
Regards,
Harald