RE: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:00:31 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi all,

On 14-Aug-98 Gleb O. Rajko wrote:
> Hi Linux Mipsers,
>
> Recently, we (me and my collegue) got linux 2.1.100 working on R3000 VME box.
> Now, we are able to run user processes and starting to compile RedHat
> packages.

Congratulations!

> The port isn't completed yet and many things should be rewritten in some
> manner but at least the kernel lives. I guess it might be helpful to make
> sources available for developers of Linux for DECstation right now, so
> they work may have some progress.

We have the first user process running too :-). Just beeing curious, have you
used code from DECstation-Linux or have you hacked the R3000 support
independantly?

> The only thing that bothers me is that our box likes big endian (strictky
> spaking the booter in our box recognizes big endian elf) but I things it
> shouldn't be a great problem.
>
> Well, the way are
> 1. To put the patch to 2.1.100 on the net
> 2. Merge some things from DECstation development (so I need the latest
> sources) and put the patch on the net
> 3. Polish the code and then put the patch
>
> Feel free to touch me and tell what is the best way and how we could help.

Well, I am very interested to have a look at your code, please publish it as
soon as you can. Ralf has agreed that the DECstation code is clean enough to be
commited into the CVS repository. I may as well have overlooked something
or you simply have the better ideas...

I have sent DECstation-linux-2.1.100 to Michael Engel three weeks ago.
Unfortunately the source tree hasn't made it to the DECstation Webpages and I
haven't reached Michael via email so DECstation-linux-2.1.100 isn't available
for download. Nevertheless you may want to have a look at
http://decstation.unix-ag.org.

> Regards,
> Gleb Raiko.

Keep hacking.