Re: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box
From: "Gleb O. Rajko" <rajko@mech.math.msu.su>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 18:57:37 +0400 (MSD)

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Alex deVries wrote:

> Hmmm.  How different are R3ks in comparison to R4ks?  I was under the
> impression they were binary compatible.
backward only. For example, gcc likes to optimize access and uses double
word load/store instructions until you specify -mips1. I don't know how many
binaries have it inside. I am afraid, almost all.

> For the sake of ensuring that your port follows a larger architecture
> mass, it's wise to merge up with another port if at all possible.

I don't thing somebody interested in entire port, because it's a quite
specific machine which developed and produced in Russia. It has VME bus
that is controlled by VIC068/VAC068 chips. Only thing that comes
in mind is it's might help to port Linux to VME-based boards with a MIPS CPU.
There should be a lot such machines in the world... Anyway, I prefer to
polish our code before posting a patch if nobody is interested to look at
code soon.

> It occurs to me that I haven't put all the source rpms in one easy to find
> spot on ftp.linux.sgi.com... I'll do that over the weekend.

Great, thanks.

Gleb.