Re: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux 2.1.100 on MIPS R3000 VME box
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 09:43:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Gleb O. Rajko wrote:
> Unfortunately, RPMs can't help me I guess. I've got r3000 so need to
> compile from sources. Well. perhaps, not everything but at least glibc
> (and port it to r3000, fortunately, we've done it already w/o fpu
> support) and several other tools.

Hmmm.  How different are R3ks in comparison to R4ks?  I was under the
impression they were binary compatible.

If a different glibc is all you need, you're all set.  That should be an
easy fix to the glibc source rpm, which is on ftp.linux.sgi.com.

> I can't find SRPMSes for mips, ftp sites referenced from www.lena.fr
> don't contain SRPMSes. If I'll get sources it'll be great. Are there
> such a place ?

For mips_EB_, I'd look more at ftp.linux.sgi.com.  I think we're a little
more complete than the mips_EL_ folks, and with the byte order thing
you'll have more in common.  In many ways it's too bad that the byte order
thing has seperated the MIPS ports so much.

For the sake of ensuring that your port follows a larger architecture
mass, it's wise to merge up with another port if at all possible.

It occurs to me that I haven't put all the source rpms in one easy to find
spot on ftp.linux.sgi.com... I'll do that over the weekend.

- Alex