Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:32:14 -0600
In message <35D31E6B.735B84@ivs.com> James Douma writes:
: The HPC's and Palm PC's being made today have CE in ROM.  Thats ROM, not
: PROM. You can't remove it without a soldering iron, and it can't be
: modified or updated.

It was myunderstanding that these were FLASH, at the very least.  At
least from the one CE box I've seen disassembled I saw it had FLASH
chips.  Granted, it wasn't the MIPS based box that I want... If one
can run in kernel mode, then one can reprogram that FLASH memory.  The
data sheets for the Vr4111 are detailed on exactly how to do this, how
to do one bank, while the other acts as your backup, etc.

It may be that WinCE gives the user no supported way to do the
upgrades, and that there is no interface for it.  The bare silicon
should support this, however....

Onsale has Velo 500's (I think, it is MIPS based) 12M for $199.  I
think for that price, it would be worth the risk of getting one,
popping it open and seeing for myself.  I'll have to checkout the
philips datasheet pointer posted earlier to see if that core has flash
functions or not...

Warner