Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?
From: James Douma <jdouma@ivs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:12:11 +0000
Sender: jdouma@blackberry.ivs.com
The HPC's and Palm PC's being made today have CE in ROM.  Thats ROM, not
PROM. You can't remove it without a soldering iron, and it can't be
modified or updated.  There is, of course, the ability to run installed
applications in RAM after loading from other media - so getting Linux
working on them is not out of the question.  However, because the 8MB of
code space which is in ROM would not be available to another operating
system, Linux would have to run with much reduced resources compared to
the built-in CE OS.

There is probably not much chance of getting an off-the-shelf unit
without CE. These things are made in volume with little to no variation.

It would be a neat hardware hack to remove the ROMs and substitute them
with parts containing Linux, though you'd have to do embedded - style
development with long iteration cycles to get it working.

James