Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:30:13 +0100 (GMT/BST)
Warner Losh (imp@village.org) writes:

> Do you have a number at Philips that I can get info on these chips?
> Got the exact chip numbers, which seems to help?

I talked to Marnix Vlot <m.vlot@ehv.sc.philips.com> a couple of years
ago when Philips were developing these things - perhaps he'd be
helpful.

Philips' MIPS/CE products are PR31100 and PR31500, and you can
download "acrobat" manuals from:

  http://www-us2.semiconductors.philips.com/cgi-bin/searchpdf

try "MIPS" in the search box.

[If you want to read acrobat files on Linux, use a recent gv + Aladdin
 ghostscript]

> I'd love to see some way to run Linux or some other free OS on the CE
> machines.  However, I've stated before that I'm not sure how to go
> about writing a boot loader, putting WinCE back should the kenrel
> build be bad, etc.  I'd love to see a discussion about how to go about
> this.

My firm Algorithmics have signed up as systems integrators for Windows
CE, and we may be able to offer some help; but there's not many of us.

Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd
dom@algor.co.uk