Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:59:27 -0600
In message <Pine.WNT.3.96.980812224128.-838233C-100000@petr-nbd.internet.cz>
Petr Novak writes:
: I was wondering wheather somebody has considered to port Linux onto this
: box. With a bit of luck, it might even run X one day...

I've started looking into the Nec Vr4111 + Vrc4171 combination which
appears in many of the PalmTop machines.  Namely the Caseo Casiopea
E-10 and something made by Everex.  Getting docs on these from NEC was
rather an easy thing to do.  These are in the $300-$400 range,
depending on memory and options.  NEC also makes a handheld in the
$900 range based on these chips.

Do you have a number at Philips that I can get info on these chips?
Got the exact chip numbers, which seems to help?

I'd love to see some way to run Linux or some other free OS on the CE
machines.  However, I've stated before that I'm not sure how to go
about writing a boot loader, putting WinCE back should the kenrel
build be bad, etc.  I'd love to see a discussion about how to go about
this.

Warner