Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Philips Velo 500 as a candidate for Linux/MIPS?
From: Petr Novak <Petr.Novak@i.cz>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:47:16 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello,

I have recently learned about a machine called Philips Velo 500. The
handheld box natively runs Windows CE 2.0, but is based on a
well-documented 2-chip set by Philips, which contains a MIPS 3900 core.
The same chipset is used in recent handhelds by Compaq and Sharp. The
Velo 500 is from $600 in the US with 16MB RAM and 640x240 grayscale
display.

I was wondering wheather somebody has considered to port Linux onto this
box. With a bit of luck, it might even run X one day...

I know there are port efforts to other power-handhelds, namely the ARM
based Psion 5 and Geofox 1, but the Velo seems at least as well documented
and more integrated than the CL-PS7110 based machines.

Any ideas, pointers?

Thanks in advance.

--
Petr Novak <Petr.Novak@i.cz>