Re: ISA audio in Magnum 4000pc,possibly?

To: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: ISA audio in Magnum 4000pc,possibly?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:11:22 +0200
On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 01:32:04PM -0600, Eric Jorgensen wrote:

>     I have a MIPS Magnum 4000PC-50 I'm working up to installing linux on.
> I've got a few things left to work out, like a monitor.
>
>     Anyway, I'm aware that support for the audio board in my Magnum is
> still on the to-do list, so, I'm wondering if I could get away with
> installing an ISA sound board in the box - is this at all possible? or is
> audio in general still not quite here? I also use linux on some Sparc
> systems, and audio has been slow to materialize on those boxes, so
> I understand if it just isn't possible yet.

All drivers that use DMA need modifications for MIPS systems, so most, if
not all of the ISA/EISA drivers should currently not usable.

The PC speaker driver should probably work ;-)

>     It just seemed like the box might make an outstanding MP3 server.

The machine will definately make a nice job in that.  People have already
reported to me that they're quite satisfied with the Magnum's performance
for mp3 encoding as well.  (I wonder what software they use or is there
already a free mp3 encoder available as source?)

>     On a completely unrelated note - out of curiosity I pulled the heatsink
> off the cpu in my system - Never seen a mips 4k processor before. Anyway, I
> was surprised to find the word "PROTOTYPE" emblazoned acrost the chip. Is
> this common? Or do I have something really cool/funky here? if anybody
> wants to see, I have a digital camera here.

I've never seen a processor like that before.  The only thing I bet on is
that this processor is buggy like shit.

>     Thanks much - non-coder types such as myself owe the linux dev.
> community a lot of gratitude and probably a few favors.

Thanks!