Re: ISA audio in Magnum 4000pc,possibly?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: ISA audio in Magnum 4000pc,possibly?
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:40:27 +0200
On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 01:32:04PM -0600, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>     Anyway, I'm aware that support for the audio board in my Magnum is
> still on the to-do list, so, I'm wondering if I could get away with
> installing an ISA sound board in the box - is this at all possible?

installing yes, but all DMA based functions will not work. To get DMA
working the driver needs to program the virtual DMA engine of the Magnum
and handle cache flushes. This isn't needed for Intel, so the ISA
sounddriver don't do this.

> or is audio in general still not quite here?

I've never looked at the ISA sound support. I had a quick look over
the spec of the Magnum sound board (I hope, that's the same one, which
is built in on my M700 mainboard) and pulled together all the needed
datasheets. But there is still more important stuff to do, than sound.

>     On a completely unrelated note - out of curiosity I pulled the heatsink
> off the cpu in my system - Never seen a mips 4k processor before. Anyway, I
> was surprised to find the word "PROTOTYPE" emblazoned acrost the chip. Is
> this common?

I haven't look at my processor. Maybe next time when I open my box.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)