binutils 2.9.1.0.4 considered harmful

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: binutils 2.9.1.0.4 considered harmful
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:27:15 +0200
Hi,

look what gas from binutils-2.9.1.0.4 produces, when building _eh.o
(libgcc.a).

RELOCATION RECORDS FOR [.eh_frame]:
OFFSET   TYPE              VALUE
0000001c R_MIPS_32         .text
00000038 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000054 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000074 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000084 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000094 R_MIPS_32         .text
000000e4 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000134 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000144 R_MIPS_32         .text
00000160 R_MIPS_32         .text
0000017c R_MIPS_32         .text
00000198 R_MIPS_32         .text

000001b5 R_MIPS_32         .text
     ^^^

This bug is most likely responsible for my problems with libstdc++ on
my little endian box (SIGBUS in ld.so.1, when a program is linked against
libstc++). On the Indy I've build egcs with patched binutils 2.8.1 and there
libstdc++ works, while on my Olli it doesn't (build with binutils 2.9.1.0.4).
Right now I'm rebuilding egcs to see, whether all of my libcstdc++ problems
are gone.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)