Re: Deskstation Tyne Raptop R4600 134mhz system

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation Tyne Raptop R4600 134mhz system
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 03:28:33 +0200
On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 07:02:30PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> The Deskstation support in Linux/MIPS has decayed away....

Well, except it's interesting DMA concept the Tyne was pretty much ok.
And a simple target - it's just a PC with a RISC CPU.

> In order to run Linux, you'll have to update about half a dozen
> smallish routines to cope the tyne's oddities.
>
> OpenBSD/arc supports this machine.

The Tyne was never useable in Linux.  It was the first MIPS machine I used
for the Linux port.  I had to switch to the Acer PICA somewhen in late '94
or so when I found out that not Linux was buggy but my Tyne board broken.