Re: MIPS CPU in palmtop

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS CPU in palmtop
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:26:03 +0200
On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 11:17:39PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <000601bdb163$e9785ce0$0100a8c0@oskar> "Oskar Liljeblad" writes:
> : I'm considering buying a handheld PC, and porting linux to it. This
> : particular computer uses a 32bit Philips PR31700 (TwoChipPic HCG) CPU which
> : is MIPS R3000A-based. Will Linux/MIPS support this processor?
>
> Depends.  How different from the R3000 is it really?

Only primary caches.  The original R3000 has it extern.  So the cache
is pretty large.  Unlike R4000 & friends it's physical indexed & tagged.
The is only 32bit, has 64 TLB entries and it's exceptions work different.
Some bits in the status register have a different meaning.  Load delay
slots must be filled on the R3000 or bad things will happen.  Many
small R3000 systems lack an FPU.  Only 32bit wide registers.  That's about
the important differences.