Re: ext2fs corruptions and other things ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: ext2fs corruptions and other things ...
From: engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:03:52 +0200 (MET DST)
> On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 12:53:14AM +0200, Michael Engel wrote:
> > - Automatic IRQ detection of ISA cards doesn't work. Does it work on any
> >   other MIPS machines ? Setting a fixed irq line makes my NE2000 and IDE
> >   controller work in the ISA slots.

[...]

> Quite some time Thomas commited a patch to arch/mips/kernel/irc.c which was
> actually supposed to fix the probing problem, maybe he can comment.

OK, let's see ... not so terribly important once I have onboard ethernet and
SCSI running. Let's hope I'll never see and plug-and-play cards in these
ISA slots ;-).

> Since the release of root-0.01 (little endian) I had to break the binary
> compatibility in two important points.  These binaries aren't any longer
> supposed to be really useable.

Are the tarballs from ftp.linux.sgi.com in /pub/mipsel-linux what you
recommend to use or do you have some better stuff in a secret corner of a
hard disk ? :-)

> > - Whenever I try to untar rootfs-0.01.tar.gz on my IDE hard disk, I get
> >   a fs corrution (usually after creating the second directory):
> >
> >   EXT2-fs error (device 03:00):
> >   ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #2:
> >   rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=896, inode=0, rec_len=0,
> >   name_len=0
>
> I've used a newer build of fdisk (< 1 year :-) and there is no problem at
> all with partitioning.  IDE is prefectly reliable for me.

OK ... I'm considering if there might be a problem with lost interrupts from
the IDE controller. Do you think this might result in fs corruption ?

> >   Has anyone seen similar effects on MIPS machines ?
> >
> > Off to read the intel 82596 ethernet controller docs ...
>
> Btw, Linux supports two 82596 based Ethernet adapters.

Hmmm, I only know about the apricot driver, what is the other one ?
The apricot driver is IMHO such a horribly documented piece of software
that at least I didn't understand what was going on without the docs
(and I'm still wondering if I understand it _with_ the docs at hand ;-)).

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)